Friday, November 11, 2005

Interesting Ryazan & Russia Photos

Some random photos that I thought were interesting.... BTW the temps in Moscow were 1-3 C today. YIKES. Blogger ate my commentary on these photos and I have a five minute warning so take a look and I'll tell you about everything later.....

T.





This is the cathedral in Ryazan. It's about 400-500 years old in a city that's now 900+ years old.













This is the church in the village that the orphanage is located in. Still slightly under construction. One of the local residents in the village donated the money to build the church. The village itself is home to a monastery that's 800+ years old.












This is the main building of the orphanage. This building has the administration offices, eating hall, and classrooms.














This was the sanatorium that we stayed at while we visited at the orphanage. It was about a 10 minute walk away down a narrow lane. It really was a sanatorium years ago and now is a type of vacation destination health spa for the Russians. Frankly, Michael thought it looked like a military facility converted into a mental health hospital....
He kept saying stuff like "Da, we send our most difficult cases there." Then cracking up laughing.






This is a photo of the beer selection at the very tiny town store. It was about the size of a small "Stop & Go", but not lacking in selection. You'll notice quite the range of brands....














Same store - Different case. These little guys were apparently a local delicacy. If I wouldn't eat escargot or sushi, I wasn't about to try these either. Of course a few nights later, our host family tried to educate us about "real" Russian vodka, and the tradition is to slam a shot of vodka & follow that with a bite of salted herring. I didn't "slam" anything, but I did try the vodka/herring combo. Amazing how just a little bit of vodka makes almost any type of food a reasonable choice....






This is a Russian make car called a "Lada". The other types are a Volga & a Jiguli. We saw these *everywhere* when we were out in the region. In comparison to Moscow where 7/10 cars were Ford, Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home